Honey’s Mango Molé
Note: We serve this delicious sauce over chicken, pork, rice and/or pasta. It can be made as two days ahead or frozen for use at a later date. It’s a B & B favorite!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Sauté about 8 minutes in the oil
- 1 banana
- 1 cup diced frozen mango
- 4 large dried pasilla or ancho chiles, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 Tbs peanut butter
- 2 Tbs sesame seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme – or 1 tsp fresh
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth – or water or vegetable broth
Cover and simmer until chiles are tender – about 15 minutes.
Purée using immersion blender. Alternately, use regular blender and purée in batches.
- 1 disk (3.16 oz.) Mexican chocolate (such as Ibarra), chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
Simmer and whisk until chocolate melts – thin with broth if needed.